The Obama administration’s massive expansion of family detention began in the summer of 2014 and will incarcerate thousands of asylum-seeking children and mothers who are fleeing extreme violence in the Northern Triangle region of Central America (Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador) this year. This practice is a due process and humanitarian disaster and must end. Family detention alone costs $343 per individual per day.
- Medical and Mental Health Consequences of Detention
- Due Process Violations in Family Detention
- Detained Mothers Speak for Themselves
- Congressional Calls to #EndFamilyDetention
- AILA Members and Partners Represent Asylum-Seeking Moms and Children
** For information on adult detention, please see AILA’s Featured Issue on Adult Detention. **