Preparing for Possible Immigration Reform

An immigration reform plan has not been approved yet and it could take many months. If Congress approves an immigration reform, start collecting the documents listed below now because you may need to provide proof of:

  •  Identity

o Birth certificate and a photo identification (ID). Passport, school or military ID, identification document from your country of origin like a Matricula Consular, or anyU.S. document with your name and photo, like a Driver’s License or ID.

  • Entry to the United States Before a Particular Date

o Immigration record or documents with your date of entry, passport with admission stamp (Form I-94/I-95/I-94W), or travel records.

o You can also use medical records (including immunization record) or school records.

  • Presence and Residence in the United States From a Particular Date

o Proof of presence with dates and addresses using immigration documents, government records, medical records, military records, employment records, religious or community organizations records, insurance policies, tax records, etc. o Bank receipts, financial records, credit card receipts, money order receipts, rental agreements, deeds, mortgages, utility bills, club memberships, etc.

  • Tax Filings

o If you do not have copies of your past filings, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)at 1-800-908-9946 to order a transcript for free.

o If you have not filed your taxes, ask for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) by calling 1-800-829-1040 and file them.

  • Employment History

o Record dates, names, and addresses of the places where you have worked.

  •  Possible English Knowledge Requirement

o You may have to take a basic English course or exam.

  •  Application Fee and Fines

o Start saving money for the application fee and for any fines.

o Also save money in case you need it for an attorney.

  •  Record Keeping

o Record all of this information in a notebook, keep the original documents, and store them in a safe place.


An attorney has to have a license from a state bar association.
Don’t believe anyone who tells you that there is already a new immigration program in place. A proposal has been introduced in Congress but it may change or not ever become law. Don’t trust anyone who says that they can guarantee you a visa or a green card.
If you suspect fraud, report it to your consulate or the police.

Scroll to Top